VMware Workstation is a professional virtualization program that allows you to virtualize any operating system while having very good performance.
In fact, VMware is a leader for the virtualization.
With VMware Workstation, you can create custom virtual machines with :
- the desired amount of RAM (max 64 GB)
- the number of processor and cores to use.
- the ability to enable or disable the processor's virtualization for the virtual machine. Allow you to virtualize virtualization servers, for example.
- the possibility to use IDE, SATA and/or SCSI hard drives.
- the ability to use a floppy drive if you wish.
- the ability to connect the virtual machine on twenty personal virtual networks (access bridge, NAT, or one of your own virtual networks).
- the ability to choose the version of the USB ports of the virtual machine : USB 1, 2 or 3.
- the ability to add the Bluetooth support in virtual machines, if your physical computer has a Bluetooth adapter.
- the ability to choose the desired sound card for each virtual machine.
- the ability to enable the 3D graphics support for the virtual graphics card of the virtual machine. + DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3.
Then, you can also create snapshots, connect VMware Workstation to an existing ESXi server, ...
To install drivers (for guest os) of virtual machines, including Unix and Linux, see the VMware documentation where the procedure is explained step by step for each version of CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, ...
Link of the list containing all installation procedures : Guest Operating System Installation Guide
The solution for Mac is VMware Fusion.
Note that to continue to virtualize Windows XP, you will need :
- version 10.0.0 of VMware Workstation
- select "Binary translation" as the preferred virtualization engine mode in the "Processors" section of your Windows XP VM
- ignore the warning displayed when starting the VM if it is displayed
Indeed, Windows XP has become extremely slow with the latest versions of VMware Workstation.
Direct download links for some older versions of VMware Workstation :
If you live in United State, you can save money on VMware Workstation Pro until 31 December 2019, by using this link.